Monday, September 17, 2007

Winds of Change?



There's something about college football that you just can't explain to someone who's not "into" it. There's an enormous sense of pride that goes along with your team associations. I became a RABID Alabama fan after my brother was accepted to the school many moons ago (he's still younger than me, though). I always enjoyed college football, but I never understood the absolute fanaticism until I moved to Alabama from New Jersey. Until recently, NJ's big school, Rutgers, wasn't much in the football department. When I moved to Alabama, I was informed, upon applying for my driver's license, that I had to "choose a side". I sided with my brother, of course. For the years he attended, and every year since, Alabama football has been like the proverbial bridesmaid. Almost there, just not quite where it should be; possibly past its prime. Between the seasons where the team just couldn't quite measure up and seasons of scandal with Mike DuBose and Mike Price, the defection of Dennis Franchione, and lackluster performance of Mike Shula (No more coaches named Mike, PLEASE!), Alabama had developed a culture of defeat. We expected to blow the game in the 4th. I found myself feeling that sense of dread this weekend. Alabama pulled out to what seemed like an insurmountable 21 point lead, early on. But, to make a long story short, Arkansas came back through a series of blunders by Bama and the officiating staff. The game came down to a field goal (that I didn't understand until the game was over) and a TD drive that left just 8 seconds for Arkansas to recover. Bama won! I know he'll never read this, but I want to thank Coach Saban for firing the first shot against the Alabama Culture of Defeat. I do not have delusions of grandeur this year. Maybe next year. But for the first time in a long time, I AM optimistic about the team and how they could finish the season. So here's a big ROOOOLLLL TIIIDE for Coach Saban. You deserve it.

No comments: