Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Finding time


Can anyone tell me what it is like to go to the bathroom uninterrupted? I can't tell you the last time I was able to close the door and have a moment. Actually, the last time I closed the door, the kids started banging on it so hard I thought Jack Nicholson's face was about to break through and shout "Honey, I'm home..." Every day, I have to scold the kids for silly stuff. Things like: Bubbie give your sister a hug!!!; or Moo, eat at least three beans!!!(I have no idea if three beans give her the proper nutrition she needs but I'm hoping); or Bean, don't use all your ChapStik at one time (She's turned up greasy on several occasions).
Luckily for me, Marc helps me out with the kids. Together, we get to wipe paint (washable kid paint, thank God) from the bathroom sink and floor. We get to find the missing Cold Blankie (and place it in the correct order of blankets: first of five), and we get to explain that "things" that are blown out of the nose should not be called "gum".
Parenthood is an amazing adventure and you never know what you may face from one minute to the next. Currently, Moo is a cat, Bean is feeding her, and Bub is hitting a ball with a Whac-a-Mole hammer.
It is always a good day when Marc and I find time to sit back, relax, and listen to an off-key version of Happy Birthday, Horsey; late-night conversation between kids; or a soul-stirring giggle that never fails to make us smile. These are the things that are worth finding time for and I hope we will always remember how lucky we are even when the door is threatening to buckle because kids are demanding entrance into the bathroom.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

:)

You have to just sit back and smile sometimes....and push the hamper up against the BR door.

Marc & Beverly Shea said...

Bev and I need a place where we have our own "areas". I'd take a garage!! I can do a lot in a garage.

Anonymous said...

You have three kids now...
What world you dreaming in? lol

"Your living in dream time.."
D.HALL