Tuesday, October 16, 2007

My Top 10 Favorite TV Shows


Okay, here's my list:

1. Everybody Loves Raymond
The whole family was just insane and there's nothing funnier than their Thanksgiving episodes. This show takes everything to crazy extremes. It also makes me thank God I have such a great relationship with my in-laws!!
2. NewsRadio
How can you not like this show? Phil Hartman....Dave Foley...need I say more? Okay, I will. I absolutely loved this show. I actually thought this show was consistently funnier than Seinfeld. Jimmy James was totally clueless. "Jimmy had fancy plans and pants to match."
3. 3rd Rock from the Sun
This is one of the funniest shows I have ever seen. Jon Lithgow given free reign to be a big goofball-what more can you ask for? If ever you want a big laugh, check out YouTube for some funny clips. My suggestion: The episode where Dick is in Denile (sic). Jon Lithgow in squeaky leather pants. Oh, it makes me laugh just thinking about it....
4. The Office
Just started watching this show recently. If you like the movie Office Space, I think you would like this show. The boss is this absurd guy who can't seem to realize he's the biggest idiot.
5. The Closer
Normally, I wouldn't like an actress adopting a fake southern accent to play a character, but Kyra Sedgwick nails her character. The show is about a deputy police chief that specializes in closing cases. The writers were smart enough to include a healthy dose of comedy in the show and the supporting cast is fabulous. This is one show Marc and I never miss.
6. Seinfeld
No favorite tv list would be complete for me without Seinfeld. This show was probably the first program I became addicted to (other than the Smurfs, of course). I can't hardly watch any of the episodes anymore because I practically know all of them by heart. Beside Jerry, George, Elaine, and Kramer, the supporting cast held their own. From Frank and Estelle, Mr. Peterman, Newman, and (my favorite) Puddy, these characters made the show.
7. King of Queens
This is a show that I started watching after hearing Tami talk about it. Any show with Jerry Stiller in it gets my vote. He can deliver a line like almost no one else.
8. The Cosby Show
This one goes a long way back. I used to watch this as I was growing up and I still watch it today. One of my favorite scenes was when Cliff had taken the kids out to eat and came home, looking defeated, with a balloon tied to each of his ears. This makes me laugh even harder now that I know the chaos kids can cause when they are taken out to dine. For anyone without kids yet, just wait until you have some and take them out to a restaurant for the first time. If they give you a hard time, just think about Bill Cosby with a balloon tied to each ear and try to smile.
9. Lost
Marc and I once had an all-night marathon after renting this show on dvd. We haven't been able to keep up with it as we'd like (I guess more marathons are in order, Marc), but this has to be one of my favorites. The first episode showing the plane crashing are some of the most heart-pounding moments I've ever seen on television. Sure makes you think twice before boarding a plane.
10. Murder She Wrote
Okay, okay... No Polident and Social Security jokes, please. I can't believe I'm admitting one of my guilty pleasures. For a long time, Marc was the only one to know about this little secret 'cause he doesn't judge me (but if he does, he's smart enough to keep it to himself). I actually enjoy the whole whodunit genre so this one comes naturally. (If the list were any longer, Matlock may have made an appearance-stop laughing.)

Okay, this is my list. I actually don't own any of them right now but my collection will get started sooner or later.

6 comments:

JH said...

Ohhh NewsRadio!! I agree it was probably the funniest show that ever existed. I still remember the scene where Matthew walks in on Dave and Bill while they are going through their detox from coffee and cigarettes. When they turn their wrath on him I actually had to leave the room I was laughing so hard. Oh and the complaint box! Sigh...good times, good times :-)

Anonymous said...

murder she wrote?

Anonymous said...

Jimmy had fancy plans and pants to match

That may be one of the top lines ever on a tv program.

Marc & Beverly Shea said...

Soon the Super Karate Monkey Death Car would...park in my space.

Anonymous said...

donkey donkey donkey

Anonymous said...

mattlock????